Orange River

Cross Border Information

Useful Crossborder Information

Our Orange River Base Camp is approximately 10km from the Namibia border at Noordoewer – on the Namibian side. For directions on how to get to our base camp view: Driving Directions 

For ease of travel, we have included some useful information about Cross Border requirements to Namibia below.

Cross border: Traveler Requirements:

What documents do I require to enter Namibia?


ALL Travelers MUST have:

  • Valid Passports
  • The passport must expire (expiry date) must be 6 months after you leave Namibia.
  • At least two clean pages (pages that do not have any stamps on them)
  • Remember to keep a separate copy of your passport details during your expedition.

ALL minors under 18 years of age MUST have:

  • Unabridged Birth Certificate and Valid Passport when travelling with both parents (For more information regarding the unabridged birth certificates, please click here)
  • If traveling with only one parent or guardian, they will also require an Affidavit from the absent parent/legal guardian. The affidavit is to be signed and stamped by a commissioner of Oaths giving adult traveller permission to leave/ enter South Africa with his/ her child. (For more info please go to:
  • If not in possession of an unabridged birth certificate, letter from the Home Affairs  IN LIEU OF the certificate (on their letterhead & stamped) with minor’s father & mothers name on, stating that applied but not processed yet: words on that form IN LIEU OF

NON-SA Passports might need Namibian visa requirements:

  • South African passport holders do not need a visa when crossing the border
  • All other passport holders must check with the Namibian Tourism Board whether or not you require a visa:Tel: +27 (0) 21 422 3298.
  • Please ensure that your visa allows you to enter Namibia AND return to South Africa.
  • Visa if you are from Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Romania, China, Slovakia or Slovenia. This list can be updated at any time – please always check with the
    Namibia High Commission: Tel: +27 (012) 481 9100 or visit and select your country of origin.

Re-entering SA: NON-SA passports:

  • Require visa or have study-/residency permits
  • DO NOT: travel with foreign passport without a valid/in date entry stamp into South Africa!!

South Africans with Dual Citizenship

  • IE, If you have dual passports DO NOT grab your foreign passport for this tour rather use your valid SA passport.

Cross border: vehicle requirements:

What documents are required for my vehicle to cross the border?

Please note: our trips exclude arrival and departure transport from your house to our base camp in Namibia.

If your vehicle documents are not in order you will not be able to cross the border. You have to have the following documents available:

  • Valid Passport of driver
  • Valid driver’s licence
  • Visitors are required to produce their vehicle registration documents if so requested, or alternatively a letter of authority to use the vehicle — from the owner — with a copy of the registration documents.
  • Certified copy of vehicle registration papers (The Chassis, engine number, trailer number, and license details will be checked by the police.)
  • Proof of ownership of the vehicle by owner or Rental Company
  • If vehicle is hired, you will need to have the Rental company contract documents with you
  • If the vehicle is still being financed, carry a letter of authority from the bank (must include dates of travel) together with the vehicle papers.
  • ZA sticker (Purchased at AA Offices – nationwide)
  • Motor Insurance Certificate – this you will obtain at the Border. It will be valid for 30 days.
  • Vehicle pay for motor cars, bakkies and minibuses are R371.00 (subject to change) – Please click here to view the most recent Government Gazette General Notice as of 28 April 2023 containing prices. Please retain the receipt of the road tax as you have to show it when you leave Namibia.
  • A third-party insurance premium is built into the price of fuel in Namibia and no additional charges are payable.

Border Regulations

It is your responsibility to obtain and comply with the most updated border regulations and requirements for your trip. Please be sure to contact the border to get the most updated and current regulations.

Herewith are the contact details:

Vioolsdrift Border:
Namibia side:
Tel: +264 63 297122
Fax: +264 63 297021
Port Health: +27 27 761 8770
South African Side:
Tel: +27 27 761 8760
Fax: +27 27 761 8931
Port Health: +27 27 761 8770

Nakob Border:
Namibian Side:
Tel: +264 63 280 057
Fax: +264 63 280 058
Port Health: +27 54 571 0005
South African Side:
Tel: +27 54 571 0008
Fax: +27 54 571 0009
Port Health: +27 54 571 0005

Send Inquiry

These prices are valid for 2025, if you pay a deposit of R1000 per person before the 30th of November 2024.

* Adults R 1 500
* Students (u/23) R 1 250
* Children (u/18) R 1 000
* Children (u/12) R 750

* Adults R 2 125
* Students (u/23) R 2 000
* Children (u/18) R 1 875
* Children (u/12) R 1 625

* Adults R 4 250
* Students (u/23) R 4 000
* Children (u/18) R 3 750
* Children (u/12) R 3 250

* Adults R 4 500
* Students (u/23) R 4 275
* Children (u/18) R 4 000
* Children (u/12) R 3 500

* Adults R 4 750
* Students (u/23) R 4 500
* Children (u/18) R 4 275
* Children (u/12) R 3 750

* Adults R 5 000
* Students (u/23) R 4 750
* Children (u/18) R 4 500
* Children (u/12) R 4 000

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you agree to our privacy policy.